SKYWARN™ Recognition Day was developed in 1999 by the National Weather Service and the American Radio Relay League. It celebrates the contributions that SKYWARN™ volunteers make to the NWS mission, the protection of life and property.
Amateur radio operators comprise a large percentage of the SKYWARN™ volunteers across the country. The Amateur radio operators also provide vital communication between the NWS and emergency management if normal communications become inoperative.
All SKYWARN™ spotters provide critical weather information before, during and after adverse weather strikes. This includes reports of rain and snow, ice and wind, storms and tornadoes, flooding and fire. This is our 24 hours to recognize all of the SKYWARN™ spotters serving our nation!
More information about the event is available here: https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition
1. Object SKYWARNTM Recognition Day serves to celebrate the contributions to public safety made by amateur radio operators Skywarn Spotters during threatening weather.
2. Date NWS stations may operate at any time during December 4, 2021 from 0000 - 2400 UTC.
3. Exchange: Call sign, signal report, QTH, and a one or two word description of the weather occurring at your site ("sunny", "partly cloudy", "windy", etc.).
4. Modes: NWS stations will work various modes including SSB, FM, AM, RTTY, CW, and PSK31. While working digital modes, special event stations will append "NWS" to their call sign (e.g., N0A/NWS). NWS offices may also participate via Social Media platforms throughout the 24 hour period.
5.Station Control Operator: It is suggested that during SRD operations a non-NWS volunteer should serve as a control operator for your station.
6. Event and QSL Information: The National Weather Service will provide event information via the internet. Event certificates will once again be electronic and printable from the main website after the conclusion of SRD.
Sign Up Registration Form
You can fill out this form here to register to participate: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfgnt7GpNxaLdtlsPxuVgyrnUIgpGfLnKHycXstQk996w6-HQ/viewform